Thursday, November 29, 2012

Excuses, Excuses & a Unicorn!

I'm even further behind on my November softie ornament-a-day challenge than ever right now, though I have a plethora of excuses and other things I've been doing over the last few weeks, some of which I will now list off: exercising (did I mention I ran a half marathon earlier this month? I did.), acute softie burnout, Thanksgiving cooking/eating/recuperating, watching Boardwalk Empire and The Mindy Project (because I am clearly gangster while remaining witty and feminine, duh), and um, other things, like...oh yeah, working a full time job and maintaining successful personal relationships with friends and family. There is just so much on my plate, both metaphorically and right next to my week-old pumpkin cheesecake. Yum! Life! 

However, you know what they say: "if you aim for the moon," blah blah blah. I'm commending myself for even coming this far. I mean, I've made 19 softie ornaments in 28 days. That's still pretty good, and if I don't praise myself for my many minuscule achievements, then who will (other than the people from whom I fish for compliments)?

 This is our Thanksgiving meal, just to prove to you how immersed I was in eating and recovering from the holiday. It's hard to get back on the crafting wagon after the gluttonous food orgy that was this T-giving, but I managed. I think I took this photo in the aperture setting instead of auto setting. Brilliant! 

 This is a poor photo of the most recent sugar skull ornament. I like it OK. 
I made these snowflake ornaments because they're so easy peasy that I can stitch them in the car. Once again, multiples! It's the best way to get several done in a row. I have big plans to make another one, as you can see by this loose flake. 
 This is my proudest and happiest softie achievement of late. I started this project over a week ago on a whim as a gift for my friend Justin, but I screwed up and sewed across its face, so another friend Kate helped me by cutting out the bad seam last night. I mess up all the time, yet don't own a seam ripper, for anyone looking for an inexpensive gift. 

A few words about this unicorn: I cut out the head shape and then stitched the eyes first, and they were just perfect. I used my narwhal technique for the horn, and I blanket stitched the bottom piece on to make it truly 3D. I'm just having a love affair with this unicornament (I just now thought of that. Wow. Again--just brilliant.) I mean, look at that rainbow mane! And it's perfect for my friend. I can't wait to give it to him! 

Do you watch that show Adventure Time? Me either! That show is totally for stoners! This ornament was loosely inspired by my favorite character, Lady Rainicorn. One critique I'll say is that I could've added a blue piece in the mane, to pick up the blue in the eye, but I didn't think I'd have the neck space. All in all though, super softie success!   


No comments:

Post a Comment