Monday, April 18, 2011

More Apron

I wanted to make another apron. This time, a full version.

Instead of using a thrift store skirt, I used a thrift store dress. This cat helped me out. Her name is Ollie, Design Consultant at Felt Up Goods, Inc.

First I cut out an apron shape from the front of the dress. I had some navy blue fabric from a bunch of curtains that never got made, so I used that for an accent. I made the straps same as the other apron, except with an extra one for the neck. Additionally, the skirt is very A-line, so I mimicked that shape by making the pockets inverted triangles just for visual interest.
To make the pockets, I had to use forethought and planning, which is a huge step since I'm usually more likely to put the bulk of craftime forethought into what kind of beer I'll be drinking for its duration than how to make a conceptually and technically solid creation.

This time I outdid myself with a delicious Trippel Belgian style beer from North Carolina (Thanks, Sam & Brandon!) and by folding back and ironing the edges of my pockets, along with a strip of the turquoise dress fabric for a little detail. I sewed only the top part, then sewed the edges back while simultaneously sewing them on to the actual apron to avoid double seams on the pockets.
I only pin when I ABSOLUTELY have to. In this case I just put two pins in the top of each pocket while sewing them to the apron fabric to hold them in place and remind me not to accidentally sew them shut, rendering them useless.
I thought I was finished, but then decided it needed a tiny bit of the navy blue to balance the design by pulling the eye back to the top of the apron. I cut out a quick little square and stitched it to the piece of fabric between the breast triangles.

Next weekend, perhaps I'll snap one of a person wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment